The origin of Ridgetown Campus traces to 1922 when the Western Ontario Experimental Farm was established by the Ontario Government. The farm was operated under the Ontario Department of Agriculture as a research facility for variety testing, production trials, and fertility studies of field crops such as corn, beans, sugar beets, tobacco, potato and horticulture crops. A few years later research was expanded to encompass control of insects and plant diseases. In 1936 a two year course in agriculture was initiated to teach practical agricultural practices. In 1997, Ridgetown became a regional campus of the University of Guelph. It continues to expand its education and research programs. Ridgetown Campus offers four diploma, one degree and two certificate programs. There are 120 full-time faculty and staff, plus contract teachers, serving the needs of 650 full-time students.
Visit Ridgetown Campus’ website for greater details on its research, education, and outreach activities.