B.Sc. Utkal University;
M.Sc. Utkal University;
Ph.D. Utkal University
Premier's Research Chair in Biomaterials & Transportation
Dr. Mohanty has a joint appointment in the School of Engineering, Thornbrough Building, University of Guelph
- Natural Fiber Composites and All Green Composites
- Nanostructure Controlled Bioplastics and Hyperbranched Polymers
- Nanocomposites (Polymer-clay and Polymer-Carbon Nanotubes) and Nanoblends
- Functionalization of Carbon Nanotubes and Clays
- Renewable Resourse-based Biodegradable polymers (Polylactides, Polyhydroxyalkanoates, Cellulose esters and Starch plastics)
- Petroleum-based Biodegradable Polymers (Aliphatic Polyesters and Aliphatic-aromatic Copolyesters)
- Polytrimethylene Terephthalate (SoronaT) based Composites, Blends and Nanocomposites
- Reactive extrusion, Injection Molding, Thermoforming and Co-Injection Molding
- Soy-based Bioplastics (Soy oil-based Thermoset Resins and Soy Protein-based Thermoplastic)
- Polyols from Plant Oils and Biobased Polyurethanes
- Biobased Polyesters/Epoxies and their biomaterials
- Biodegradable Polymers and Sustainable Packaging
Biofuels, Biorefinery and Sustainability
- Value-added Applications of Downstream Co-products from Dry-milling Corn Ethanol Industries e.g. Distillers' Dried Grains with Solubles (DDGS) and Carbon Dioxide as Biocomposites, Bioadhesives and Biochemicals
- Value-added Applications of Corn Gluten Meal (Co-product from Wet-milling Corn ethanol Industries) as Biodegradable Plastics and Biocomposites
- Value-added Applications of Coproducts from Soy Biodiesel Industries e.g. Soy meal and Glycerol as Biodegradable Plastic, Biocomposites and Biochemicals
- New Uses of Lignin and Residual Biomass from Cellulosic Ethanol in Value-added Applications
- Pretreatment of Biomasses for Biofuels
- Sustainability Issues of Biofuel Industries and Biorefinery
For further information please visit:
Funded Graduate Opportunities available in my research group – M.Sc. in Plant Agriculture*
This graduate opportunity is for graduate students pursuing a Master’s degree in Plant Agriculture for the following research areas in my team.
- Biomedical Applications for Bioplastics and Biocomposites
- 3D Printing of Bioplastics and Biocomposites
- Bioplastics and Biobased Polymers
- Biocomposites (Natural Fibre Composites) and Polymer Blends
- Green Composites including Recyclability, Durability and Biodegradability Studies
- Biobased Nanocomposites and Nanoblends
- Biomass and Biomaterials Sustainability
- Value-added Biobased Materials from the Coproducts/Byproducts of Biofuel Industries
- Biodegradability (Compostability)
For entry in the M.Sc. program, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree Science.
If your first language is not English, you will be required to submit the results of a standardized language test. Please see the chart for acceptable tests and required scores.
For more information on how to apply, please contact me by e mail:
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the positions are filled.
A preliminary selection will be made based on the interviews to qualify the prospective candidate to apply for graduate studies at the University of Guelph. Selection does not guarantee acceptance for graduate studies.
*Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Poritosh, R., Tadele, D., Defersha, F., Misra, M., Mohanty, A.K. (2019) "Environmental and economic prospects of biomaterials in the automotive industry". Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. DOI: 10.1007/s10098-019-01735-8
Jubinville, D., Chang, B. P., Pin, J.-M., Mohanty, A. K. & Misra, M. (2019) "Synergistic thermo-oxidative maleation of PA11 as compatibilization strategy for PA6 and PBT blend." Polymer, 121594, DOI: 10.1016/j.polymer.2019.121594
Snowdon, M.R., Wu, F., Mohanty, A.K. and Misra, M. (2019) "Comparative Study of Extrinsic Properties of Poly(Lactic Acid)-Based Biocomposites Filled With Talc Versus Sustainable Biocarbon", RSC Advances 9, 6752 - 6761. DOI: 10.1039/C9RA00034H
Quosai, P., Anstey, A., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2018). Characterization of biocarbon generated by high-and low-temperature pyrolysis of soy hulls and coffee chaff: for polymer composite applications. Royal Society open science, 5(8), 171970. DOI: 10.1098/rsos.171970
Andrzejewski, J., Misra, M., & Mohanty, A. K. (2018). Polycarbonate biocomposites reinforced with a hybrid filler system of recycled carbon fiber and biocarbon: Preparation and thermomechanical characterization. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 135(28), 46449. DOI: 10.1002/app.46449
Ogunsona, E.O., M. Misra and A.K. Mohanty. (2017). Impact of interfacial adhesion on the microstructure and property variations of biocarbons reinforced nylon 6 biocomposites. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesa.2017.03.011.
Anstey, A., S. Vivekanandhan, A. Rodriguez-Uribe, M. Misra and A.K. Mohanty. (2016). Oxidative acid treatment and characterization of new biocarbon from sustainable Miscanthusbiomass. Science of the Total Environment. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.01.015.
Reddy, M.M., S. Vivekanandhan, M. Misra, S.K. Bhatia and A.K. Mohanty. (2013). Biobased plastics and bionanocomposites: Current Status and Future Opportunities. Progress in Polymer Science. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2013.05.006.
Mohanty, A.K., M. Misra and G. Hinrichsen. 2000. Biofibres, biodegradable polymers and biocomposites: an overview. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1439-2054(20000301)276:1<1::AID-MAME1>3.0.CO;2-W.
For a complete list of publications please visit the Bioproducts Discovery & Development website: