B.Sc. Utkal University;
M.Sc. Utkal University;
M.Phill Utkal University;
Ph.D. Utkal University
- 3D printing of bio-based materials
- Biofibers and biocomposites, wood fiber and wood/plastic composites
- Synthesis of bio-polyols from plant oils, their polyurethanes and biocomposites
- Biobased Polyesters and their Composites
- Biobased Epoxies and their Composites
- Bio-based polymers (Polylactides-PLA, Polyhydroxyalkanoates-PHAs, Cellulose plastics, Soy protein plastics, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles-DDGS plastics, lignin plastics, poly (trimethylene terephthalate) - Sorona Polymer), their blends, composites and nanocomposites
- Surface treatment of micro and nanofibers and fiber-matrix adhesion
- Biocomposites from flax, hemp, kenaf, jute, sisal, henequen, cellulose, bamboo, talc and fly ash
- Reactive extrusion processing
- Extrusion and injection molding of biocomposites
- Multilayer injection molding
- Biocomposite sheet molding compounds
- Biocomposite powder processing (BioSMC)
- Microwave processing of biocomposites
- Vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) of biocomposites
- Novel materials derived from starch and chitosan
- Thermoplastic and thermoset nanocomposites
- Nanobiocomposites from carbon nanotubes, alumina nanowhisker, silver nanoparticles and cellulose nanocrystals
- Electrospinning processing
- Application of nanotechnology in pathogen detection, air pollution detection and remediation, drug delivery systems, pest detection and control, water treatment, agricultural productivity enhancement and safety
Funded Graduate Opportunities available in my research group – M.Sc. in Plant Agriculture*
This graduate opportunity is for graduate students pursuing a Master’s degree in Plant Agriculture for the following research areas in my team.
- Biomedical Applications for Bioplastics and Biocomposites
- 3D Printing of Bioplastics and Biocomposites
- Bioplastics and Biobased Polymers
- Biocomposites (Natural Fibre Composites) and Polymer Blends
- Green Composites including Recyclability, Durability and Biodegradability Studies
- Biobased Nanocomposites and Nanoblends
- Biomass and Biomaterials Sustainability
- Value-added Biobased Materials from the Coproducts/Byproducts of Biofuel Industries
- Biodegradability (Compostability)
For entry in the M.Sc. program, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree Science.
If your first language is not English, you will be required to submit the results of a standardized language test. Please see the chart for acceptable tests and required scores.
For more information on how to apply, please contact me by e mail:
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the positions are filled.
A preliminary selection will be made based on the interviews to qualify the prospective candidate to apply for graduate studies at the University of Guelph. Selection does not guarantee acceptance for graduate studies.
*Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Watt, E., Abdelwahab, M., Mohanty, A.K., & Misra, M. (2021). "Biocomposites from biobased polyamide 4,10 and waste corn cob based biocarbon". Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 106340. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesa.2021.106340.
Picard, M., Mohanty. A.K., Misra, M. (2020). "Recent Advances on Additive Manufacturing of Engineering Thermoplastics: Challenges and Opportunities". RSC Advances, 10(59), 36058-36089. DOI: 10.1039/D0RA04857G.
Chang, B. P., Thakur, S., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2019). Novel sustainable biobased flame retardant from functionalized vegetable oil for enhanced flame retardancy of engineering plastic. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 1-14. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-52039-2.
Snowdon, M.R., Wu, F., Mohanty, A.K. and Misra, M. (2019). Comparative Study of Extrinsic Properties of Poly(Lactic Acid)-Based Biocomposites Filled With Talc Versus Sustainable Biocarbon. RSC Advances, 9, 6752 - 6761. DOI: 10.1039/C9RA00034H.
Mohanty, A. K., Vivekanandhan, S., Pin, J. M., & Misra, M. (2018). Composites from renewable and sustainable resources: Challenges and innovations. Science, 362(6414), 536-542. DOI: 10.1126/science.aat9072
Benwood, C., Anstey, A., Andrzejewski, J., Misra, M., & Mohanty, A. K. (2018). Improving the impact strength and heat Resistance of 3D printed models: Structure, property, and processing correlationships during fused deposition modeling (FDM) of poly(Lactic Acid). ACS Omega, 3(4), 4400-4411. DOI: 10.1021/acsomega.8b00129
Wagner, A., V. Poursorkhabi, A.K. Mohanty and M. Misra. (2014). Analysis of Porous Electrospun Fibers from Poly (L-lactic acid)/Poly (3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) Blends. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. DOI: 10.1021/sc5000495.
Reddy, M.M, S. Vivekanandhan, M. Misra, S.K. Bhatia and A.K. Mohanty. (2013) Biobased plastics and bionanocomposites: Current Status and Future Opportunities. Progress in Polymer Science. DOI: 10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2013.05.006.
Mohanty, A.K, M. Misra and G. Hinrichsen. (2000) Biofibres, biodegradable polymers and biocomposites: an overview. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1439-2054(20000301)276:1<1::AID-MAME1>3.0.CO;2-W.
For a complete list of publications please visit the Bioproducts Discovery & Development website: