M.Sc. Botany, University of Guelph;
Ph.D. Systematics, University of Guelph
- Spring and winter canola breeding for Ontario, western Canada and Europe using doubled haploid methodology.
- In vitro selection of various traits including, disease resistance, frost hardiness and oil quality improvements (eg. reduced glucosinolates, reduced saturates) in canola.
- Pest resistance sourced from wide crosses with weedy relatives, including cabbage seedpod weevil resistance, root maggot resistance and flea beetle resistance.
- Development of an efficient microspore culture system in corn (Zea mays) for in vitro selection for disease resistance.
- Breeding of root maggot (Delia sp.) resistant rutabaga germplasm.
- Development of a universal microspore culture system for production of doubled haploids in cereals (barley and wheat)
- High antioxidant (rosmarinic acid) production in Mentha spicata (spearmint) for the nutraceutical and functional food industry.
Connelly, A.E., A.J. Tucker, H. Tulk, M. Catapang, L. Chapman, N. Sheikh, S. Yurchenko, R. Fletcher, L.S. Kott, A.M. Duncan, A.J. Wright. (2013). Effect of high-rosmarinic acid spearmint tea consumption on WOMAC-assessed pain, stiffness, and disability in adults with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: A randomized controlled trial. Poster presentation at the Canadian Nutrition Society conference, June 1-2, 2013.
Pearson, W., R.S. Fletcher, L.S. Kott and M.B. Hurtig. (2011). Dietary rosmarinic-acid-enhanced Mentha spicata reduces synovial fluid biomarkers of inflammation in horses challenged with intra-articular LPS. Equine Veterinary Journal.
Tansey, A. James, L.M. Dosdall, A. Keddie, R.S. Fletcher and L.S. Kott. (2010). Responses of Ceutorhynchus obstrictus (Marsham) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to olfactory cues associated with novel genotypes developed by Sinapis alba L. x Brassica napus L. Arthropod-Plant Interactions. 4: 95-106.
Malchev, I., R. Fletcher and L. Kott. (2010). Breeding of rutabaga (Brassica napus var. napobrassica L. Reichenb.) based on biomarker selection for root maggot resistance (Delia radicum L.). Euphytica. 175: 191-205.
Tansey, J.A., L.M. Dosdall, A. Keddie, R. Fletcher, L.S. Kott. (2010). Antixenosis and antibiosis resistance to Ceutorhynchus obstrictus in novel germplasm derived from Sinapis alba x Brassica napus. The Canadian Entomologist Journal. 142: 212-221.
Pearson, W., R. Fletcher, L. Kott, and M. Hurtig. (2009). Protection against LPS-induced cartilage inflammation and degradation provided by a biological extract of Mentha spicata. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 10 (19).
Fletcher, R., T. Slimmon and L. Kott. (2009). Environmental factors affecting the accumulation of rosmarinic acid in spearmint (Mentha spicata L.) and peppermint (Mentha piperita L.). The Open Agriculture Journal. 3: 43-49.
Goronfolah, LT., P. Ferrie, M. Schmuck, S. Waserman, J. Denburg, L. Kott, R. Fletcher and P.Keith. (2009). Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Randomized, Crossover Trial of a Mint Tea High In Rosmarinic Acid In Adults With Nasal Polyposis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 123: S202-S202.
Shaw, J.E., R.S. Fletcher, L.L. Dosdall and L.S. Kott. (2009). Biochemical markers for cabbage seedpod weevil (Ceutorhynchus obstrictus (Marsham)) resistance in canola (Brassica napus L.). Euphytica. 170: 297-308.