B.Sc. Agriculture – University of Guelph
M.Sc. Horticulture – University of Guelph
Ph.D. Environmental Biology – University of Guelph
My research interests focus on integrated management of disease and insect pests of field vegetables in Ontario including tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, squash, cabbage, broccoli, peppers, sugarbeets, snap beans, potatoes, and sweet corn. I am interested in applied research that can be adopted by growers in Ontario to improve pest management, reduce yield and quality losses, and delay the evolution of pesticide resistance.
Recent or current projects include:
- Management of bacterial spot on field tomato, pumpkins, and squash: identification of pathways of transmission, host resistance on foliage and fruit, evaluation of nanoparticles and other bactericides
- Management of Cercospora leaf spot of sugarbeet: integration of host resistance and fungicide programs, identification of alternative crop protection tools, influence of deposition aids and water volume on fungicide efficacy, improve understanding of initial inoculum sources of Cercospora beticola, fungicide insensitivity monitoring
- Integration of host resistance and fungicides for management of cucurbit downy mildew
- Spore trap surveillance of Phytophthora infestans to identify high-risk periods for late blight in field tomatoes
I am interested in graduate students with an interest in applied plant pathology for the following projects:
- Identification and integration of new crop protection tools for management of Cercospora leaf spot in sugarbeet. Beginning Winter, Summer, or Fall 2020
If you are interested please contact me via my e-mail.
View the complete list of Dr. Cheryl Trueman’s scientific publications on Google Scholar.
Tedford, S.L., R.R. Burlakoti, A.W. Schaafsma, C.L. Trueman. (2019). Optimizing management of cercospora leaf spot (Cercospora beticola) of sugarbeet in the wake of fungicide resistance. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. 41: (1) 35-46.
Goodwin, P.H., C. Trueman, S.A. Loewen, R. Tazhoor. (2018). Variation in the responsiveness of induced resistance against Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato by Solanum lycopersicum treated with para-aminobenzoic acid. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology. 104: 31-39.
Tedford, S.L., R.R. Burlakoti, A.W. Schaafsma, C.L. Trueman. (2018) Relationships among airborne Cercospora beticola conidia concentration, weather variables and cercospora leaf spot severity in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology. 40: (1) 1-10.
Trueman, C.L., L.E. Hanson, P. Somohano, N. Rosenzweig. (2017). First report of DMI-insensitive Cercospora beticola on sugar beet in Ontario, Canada. New Disease Reports. 36 (20): 2044-0588.2017.
Goodwin, P.H., C.L. Trueman, S.A. Loewen, R. Tazhoor. (2017). Variation in the response of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) breeding lines to the effects of benzo (1,2,3) thiadiazole‐7‐carbothioic acid S‐methyl ester (BTH) on systemic acquired resistance and seed germination. Journal of Phytopathology. 165 (10): 670-680.
Belfry, K.D., C. Trueman, R.J. Vyn, S.A. Loewen, L.L. Van Eerd. (2017). Winter cover crops on processing tomato yield, quality, pest pressure, nitrogen availability, and profit margins. Public Library of Science One. 12 (7): e0180500.
Goudis, L.A., C.L. Trueman, T.S. Baute, R.H. Hallett, C.L. Gillard. (2015). Insecticide Efficacy and Timing for Control of Western Bean Cutworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in Dry and Snap Beans. Journal of Economic Entomology. 109 (1): 188-194.
Tesfaendrias M.T., C.L. Trueman, B.D. Gossen, A.W. McKeown, M.R. McDonald. (2014). The influence of nitrogen and calcium fertilizers on septoria late blight and yield of celery. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 94 (8): 1391-1399.
Trueman, C.L., E. Roddy, P.H. Goodwin. (2014). First report of bacterial spot (Xanthomonas cucurbitae) of pumpkin in Ontario, Canada. New Disease Reports. 30: 8-8.
Trueman, C.L., L.E. Hanson, N. Rosenzweig, Q.W. Jiang, W.W. Kirk. (2013). First Report of QoI Insensitive Cercospora beticola on Sugar Beet in Ontario, Canada. Plant Disease 97 (9): 1255-1255.